Comunicato of the Tempo Forte May 2012
The Minister General and the General Definitory returned from their Spiritual Exercises in the Holy Land on the morning of 8th May, and immediately got down to work that same afternoon.
As well as the usual sharing of information about what had been happening since the Tempo Forte of March, the Definitory addressed the regular administrative issues, dealing with more than 70 plichi (files) concerning all kinds of matters referred to the General Curia from Provinces and Custodies around the world. A number of requests for financial assistance were also examined: some were approved, while others were sent back for further clarification. In the course of the ten days, the Definitory evaluated a number of meetings: the encounter with COTAF (the Conference of Central Europe), the Spiritual Exercises in the Holy Land, and the retreat in the General Curia.
There was a good deal further reflection on the question of personnel for the Curia and for other houses dependent on the Minister General, with all decisions being left until July. The work of the International Council for Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation, held in Nairobi in February, already considered at the March meeting, was the basis for a reflection and conversation, as was the question of the presence of friars in the territory of other Provinces.
The report of BR ANDRÉS ALFREDO ALEGRE PAREDES, Visitator General of the Province of the Twelve Apostles, in Peru, was presented and discussed.
Several new Visitators were elected, among whom were the following:
- BR ENZO MAGGIONI, of the Province of St Charles Borromeo (Milan), in Italy, for the Province of S. Vigilius (Trento), also in Italy;
- BR BRUNO MIELE, of the Province of St Anthony of Padua (Venice), in Italy, for the Province of St Bonaventure (Turin), also in Italy;
- BR EDUARDO ARMENTA, of the Province of San Pedro Bautista, in the Philippines, for the Custody of St Anthony of Padua, also in the Philippines;
- BR JOSÉ GONZÁLEZ GONZÁLEZ, of the Province of Santiago de Compostela, in Spain, for the Province of the Holy Martyrs of Morocco, in Portugal;
- BR JUAN MIGUEL DORRONSORO MUJICA, of the Franciscan Province of Arantzazu, for the Province of Our Lady of the Rule (Granada), also in Spain;
- Br ROZO BRKIĆ, of the Province of Saints Cyril and Methodius, in Croatia, for the Province of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Bosnia-Herzegovina;
- BR TARCISIO COLOMBOTTI, of the Province of St Charles Borromeo (Milan), in Italy, for the Province of Christ the King (Bologna), also in Italy.
Among the new Ministers Provincial whose election was ratified by the General Definitory were the following:
- BR. ANDRIJA BILOKAPIĆ, of the Province of St Jerome, in Croatia;
- BR. ALAN BRZYSKI, of the Province of St Hedwig, in Poland;
- Br JUAN MARÍA MARTINEZ DE ILARDUYA FERNÁNDEZ DE TRONCONIZ, of the Province of Arantzazu, in Spain.
The Minister General and Definitory also elected the President and Council of the Foundation Notre Dame d’Afrique in the Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville): BR ADOLFO MARMORINO, as President; BR ROCH EKUEREMBAHE, as Vice-President, and as Councillors : Brothers PASCAL TATY, LUCIANO ACQUISTO, and ITALO BONO.
The General Definitory, taking into account the observations made by the Juridical Commission of the Order, approved the revised Particular Statutes of the Province of the Twelve Apostles in Peru; the Province of the Holy Korean Martyrs, in Korea; and the Province of the Holy Faith, in Colombia.
From 14th – 16th May, the Minister General and Definitory met with the Presidents of the Conferences of Ministers Provincial. Among the items presented and discussed at this meeting was a proposal concerning Mandate n. 61 of the General Chapter 2009, concerning a method of strengthening the contributions going to the General Secretariat for the Missions and Evangelisation and the General Secretariat for Formation and Studies. This proposal was presented to the Presidents and to the General Definitory by the International Commission appointed for this purpose in accordance with the Mandate. The General Chapter authorised the General Definitory and the Conference Presidents to approve and implement the results of the Commission’s work. This proposal was endorsed unanimously by the Presidents and Definitory. It will be communicated to the Provinces in the next few weeks.
5th June 2012
Aidan McGrath OFM