10 Oct Slovenia – Academic Conference on the 8th centenary of the meeting between St. Francis and the Sultan
A three-day international academic conference on dialogue between Christians and Muslims was held in the OFM friary in Ljubljana, Slovenia from October 1st to 3rd, 2019, as part of the celebration of the 8th centenary of the meeting of St. Francis of Assisi and Sultan Al-Kamil. The symposium was entitled: “800 years of cohabitation” and was organized by Br. Mari Osredkar, professor at the Ljubljana Faculty of Theology.
Among the distinguished presenters were:
- Br. Marjan Čuden OFM, Minister Provincial
- Prof. Dr. Robert Petkovšek, Dean of the Ljubljana Faculty of Theology
- Dr. Mohammad Mehdi Taskhiri, Director of the Centre for Interreligious Dialogue, Tehran, Iran
- Prof. Dr. Nedžad Grabus, Mufti of Ljubljana
- Bishop Stanislav Lipovšek, president of the commission for Ecumenism at the Slovenian Bishops’ Conference
- Msgr. Stane Zore OFM, archbishop of Ljubljana
- Msgr. Jean-Marie Speich, apostolic nuncio to Slovenia
The speakers at the symposium came from the following countries: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turkey, Iran, Israel, Italy, France and the USA. In all, 24 speakers spoke about dialogue between Christians and Muslims both today and in the past, focussing especially on cooperation between Franciscans and Muslims.
May the words spoken at the symposium encourage us to get to know one other better. May we be able to deeply respect each other, thus building peace and coexistence in today’s world.